I have the 1.5 version of StarterSTS sitting here for quite some time now. But I was always reluctant to release it. Some of the reasons are:
- too many new features for a single (small) version change.
- to many features that are optional, like bridged authentication and thus make the code very complex.
- the way I implemented Azure integration adds a dependency on the Azure SDK, even for “on-premise” installations. I don’t like that.
- the fact I am using some WebForms bits and some WCF bits, the URL structure got messy. WebForms also don’t help a lot in testability
All of the above reasons together plus the fact that I am the only architect, developer and tester on this project made me come to the conclusion that I will cancel this release. But wait…
- StarterSTS 1.5 is fully functional. We use both the on-premise and Azure versions internally “in production”.
- Cancelling means I will release the latest source code on Codeplex – but will not mark it as a “recommended release”. I also won’t produce updated screen casts and docs. Bu the setup is very similar to earlier versions.
- Feel free to use and customize 1.5 and give me feedback.
On the good news front, I am working on a new version – welcome thinktecture IdentityServer. This version is based on MVC3 and the routing architecture, removed a lot of the clutter, has a SQL CE4 based configuration system, is more extensible – and in overall just cleaner.
I will be able to upload CTPs very soon.